Main: 8230 Old Courthouse Rd, Suite 200, Vienna, VA 22182 (NEW)
Other: 651 Pine Drive, Suite 205, Pompano Beach, FL 33060
Phone   (703) 534-5588
Fax   (703) 534-5585


The "J" exchange visitor is a bona fide student, scholar, trainee, teacher, professor, research assistant, specialist, or leader in a field of specialized knowledge or skill, or other person of similar description, who is coming temporarily to the United States as a participant in a program designated by the Director of the United States Information Agency, for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, or receiving training and who, if he is coming to the United States to participate in a program under which he will receive graduate medical education or training, also meets the requirements of section 212(j), and the alien spouse and minor children. 



To qualify for "J" status the visitor must meet certain qualifications, including have sufficient funds to cover the program as well as living expenses, capable in terms of language and profession to participate in the specified program.  

When an exchage visitor is coming under the "J" program for graduate medical education or training he/she must meet certain special requirements.  These requirements include passing the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination in Medical Sciences, demonstrating competency in English, being automatically subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement (after completion of their program), and being subject to time limits on the duration of their program.  Physicians coming to the United States on exchange visitor programs for the purpose of observation, consultation, teaching, or conducting research in which there is little or no patient care are not subject to the above requirements; and must present a Form IAP-66 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status prepared by a designated sponsoring organization.  


Exchange Visitors in J-1 Status  

An exchange visitor alien must be sponsored by a designated exchange visitor program.  An exchange visitor program wishing to sponsor an alien issues that alien a Form DS-2019.  

Types of J-1 

  • Professors and research scholars
  • Short term scholars
  • Trainee 
  • College and university students
  • Teachers
  • Secondary school students
  • Specialists: Persons with special skills coming to observe, consult or demonstrate
  • Alien Physicians 
  • International visitors
  • Government visitors 
  • Summer travel/work programs (discussed in more detail below)
  • Camp counselors: 
  • Au Pairs (discussed in more detail below)

Summer Work/Travel  

There are specific set of regulations pertaining to the Summer Work/Travel category, where in foreign post-secondary students may enter the United States to work and travel for a maximum of four months during their summer vacations.  While most participants enter the United States with prearranged employment, sponsors are required to place only 50 percent of their participants each year.  Sponsors must ensure that participants entering the United States without prearranged employment have sufficient financial resources to support themselves during their search for employment.  In addition, sponsors must provide such participants with information on how to seek employment and secure lodging in the United States before they depart their home countries, and with a job directory that includes at least as many job listings as the number of participants in their program who are entering the United States without prearranged employment.  Finally, sponsors must undertake reasonable efforts to secure suitable employment for participants unable to find jobs on their own after one week. 

Program regulations permit participants to repeat the program more than once.  However, sponsors are required to limit the number of repeating participants to no more than 10 percent of the number of their previous year's participants. 

Department regulations prohibit the placement of program participants as domestic help in U.S. households or in positions requiring them to invest their own money for inventory, such as door-to-door sales.  Most participants typically work in non-skilled service positions at resorts, hotels, restaurants, and amusement parks.  Summer internships in US businesses and other organizations (i.e., architecture, science research, graphic art/publishing and other media communication, advertising, computer software and electronics, and legal offices, etc.) are allowed.  However, the term of the internship may not exceed the four-month program duration, and must be completed during the student's summer vacation.  

Au Pairs  

Through the Au Pair program, foreign nationals between 18 and 26 years of age participate directly in the home life of a host family by providing limited childcare services for up to 12 months.  Childcare is limited to no more than 10 hours per day, and to a maximum of 45 hours per week. 

Participants in the Au Pair program must be proficient in spoken English, and are required to complete at least six hours of academic credit or its equivalent at an accredited U.S. post-secondary educational institution.  Host families are required to pay up to $500 toward the cost of the Au Pair's required academic course work. 

Extension of J-1 Status  

Exchange visitor’s program may be extended for adequate and justified reason.  

Change of Status  

J-1 visitors may apply for a change of status.  The most frequent changes include: change to F-1/student status; B-1/B-2 visitor status; H-1B working visa.  If the J-1 visitor fears to go back to his or her country due to persecution based on nationality, political opinion, membership in a social group, race or religion he/she may also apply for asylum in the United States.